About Harju County

Harju County is located in North-Estonia covering the costal region of the Gulf of Finland from the Gulf of Keibu to the Gulf of Eru and stretching out as far as 56 km from the sea.

About Harju County

Harju County is the largest as to the population (535 887 people) and the second largest as to the total area (4333,13 km²). It is located in North-Estonia covering the costal region of the Gulf of Finland from the Gulf of Keibu to the Gulf of Eru and stretching out as far as 56 km from the sea. The centre of the county is Tallinn, which is also the capital of Estonia.
Harju County has been in the centre of the historic cultural events which is why it is the richest in cultural monuments. The following architectural monuments belong to this list: the first iron smelting place in Estonia in Tindimurru – data from the 1st century BC, the late Bronze Age stone-cist barrows in Jõelähtme, and Muuksi site of the ancient fortified settlement; the monument for the first translation of the Bible into Estonian is also lovated in Harju County. The first Bible in Estonian was published by Anton Thor Helle in 1739.                        

Padise Abbey, located in West-Harju County, was built in the 13th century and it belonged to the Cistercians. It is the oldest and most outstanding architectural monument of the Middle Ages of Harju County. In East-Harju County, in Kiiu park, it is possible to see a vassal stronghold, the so-called Monk Tower, dating back to the 16th century. It is the smallest tower-block type stronghold building in the batic States. The beautiful churches are open for the visitors. These churches, with the centuries old history, are good and quiet places for thinking about our earthly existence and the mystery of eternity.                                             

The Harju County’s manor architecture was developing in the 18-19th century when the manor ensembles with the parks belonging to them became a beautiful part of the land scape architecture. The construction boom that started in the second half of the 18th century brought along high-level manor houses of dignified style (Saue, Vääna, Kolga, Riisipere). In total, 33 the most outstanding  manor ensembles are under state protection in Harju County.

  
A distinctive feature of Harju County’s nature is its extremely varied scenery with its rich and rare  flora and different fauna. Harju County has more than 300 km of coastline and 74 islands and islets. It means extraordinarily beautiful sights of wildlife and certainly the sea. The coastal shallow is 20 km wide at the peninsulas, in some places it becomes a narrow of coastal strip. Flowing down the limestone cliffs, the rivers form waterfalls the highest of which and with the highest water-level are 8m high Jägala waterfall and 6,1m high Keila-Joa waterfall.    

                                        

As the plateau’s bottom rock is limestone, the landscape has a lot of karst forms like the karst areas of Kostivere and Tuhala. The most interesting phenomenon of the Tuhala karst area is Tuhala Witch Well in the yard of Sulu Farm. The well is active and starts to boil mostly in spring, but the same thing has happened also on New Year’s Eve.
Kõrvemaa landscape protection area situated in the eastern part of Harju County. This area offers possibilities for spending a holiday and free time in extremely beautiful surroundings. The hiking and educational nature trails offer a lot of experience and they are widely used both in summer and winter.

If visiting Tallinn isn't enough of an escape in itself, there are some fantastic day trips leaving from Tallinn that will put you in touch with Estonian nature and history. Tallinn Surroundings

Visitharju Travel Guide

Harju County: Tallinn Surroundings tourist map

 

 

About Harju County  

Related objects

Check on map
Suurupi upper lighthouse
People have been lighting bonfires on the highest limestone shore in Suurupi for centuries. In 1760, a massive limestone lighthouse was built here to warn captains about rocks in the water and direct the ships safely to the Reval harbours. At first, a live fire was made at the top of the lighthouse...
Pakri lighthouse
This lighthouse is situated on the north-western tip of the Pakri peninsula on a high slate bluff marking the water's edge of a very important shipping lane along the northern coast. A similar structure has stood here since the time of Swedish rule. A new slate lighthouse was ordered to be erected...
Keila waterfall
Keila waterfall is located on Keila River in Harju County, Keila rural municipality, Keila-Joa small town. A full 6 metres high, and tens of metres wide, Keila waterfall is the third largest waterfall in Estonia; after the Narva and Jägala waterfalls. There is a road from the park along the...
Keila-Joa Manor and Schloss Fall Museum
This manor complex was built in 1833 in neo-gothic style according to the designs of Hans von Stackenschneider, who would go on to become one of the key representatives of the historicist style in Russia. The manor has an amazing location – a rocky river with rapids runs through the valley, a 6 m...
Türisalu klint and platform
Türisalu klint is one of the most impressive nature object on the Northern Estonian limestone coast, towering up to 31 metres. Platform of the Türisalu klint with its romantic sea view and easy access is a popular destination among the citizens of Tallinn; the high vantage point affords a...
St Nicholas’ Lutheran Chapel in Saha
Saha Chapel used to be one of the oldest ecclesiastical centres built on the site of an ancient sacred place of Estonians. According to a folk story it is even 50 years older than the City of Tallinn and it was established by bishop Fulco. The exact time of establishment of the chapel is not known...
St. Michael’s (Miikaeli) Church in Keila
The construction of the biggest mediaeval country church in Harju County probably started immediately after Northern Estonia had been subjected to the king of Denmark. There is no data about the first years of the church, but in about 1280, a spacious quadrangular chapel that forms the choir room...
Rummu quarry
NB: this is an unofficial and unguarded swimming and diving spot. The quarry is closed to visitors and can only be explored with guides! Rummu quarry was used as a mining site for Vasalemma marble (a kind of limestone) for a very long time. Most of the workforce came from among the detainees of...
Padise Manor Hotel
In Harju County, just 50 km from Tallinn, is a beautiful spot snuggled between forests and fields - Padise. This naturally beautiful location with its ancient hill fortress and historical convent also boasts the now almost fully renovated Padise Manor. The manor has been renovated since the time of...
Jägala Waterfall
Jägala Waterfall is a waterfall in the lower course of the Jägala River, approximately 4 km before the river flows into the Gulf of Finland. The waterfall is approximately 8 metres high and more than 50 metres wide. It is the widest natural waterfall in Estonia. The waterfall is a peculiar sight...
River Jägala and suspension bridge
River Jägala begins in the village of Ahula that stands on the western edge Pandivere uplands; then, it runs through Northern Estonia and flows into Ihasalu Bay of the Gulf of Finland. The upper course of the 97-kilometre river flows through the bogs of Kõrvemaa. There is a suspension bridge with...
Church of Blessed Virgin Mary (Püha Neitsi Maarja) in Jõelähtme
Jõelähtme Church is one of the oldest churches in Estonia. The church was originally made of wood, and it was established during the period of the Danes’ conquest at the beginning of the 1220s. In written records, the Church of Blessed Virgin Mary in Jõelähtme is first mentioned in 1241, and...
Kau Manor
Kau manor was mentioned in the Danish evaluation book as early as in 1241. The manor remained empty for decades and its restoration was inspired by the fascinating history of the manor. Kau manor houses a boutique hotel that has 20 rooms in various styles, the awarded Restaurant Kaheksa Jalga (...
Anija Manor
Anija Manor was first mentioned in 1482, when it belonged to Hermann Zoege. The main building, which has been preserved until today, was built by Matthias Staël von Holstein at the beginning of the 19th century. Both the front façade and the middle part of the posterior side are decorated with...

Map