Pakri lighthouse

Pakri lighthouse

This lighthouse is situated on the north-western tip of the Pakri peninsula on a high slate bluff marking the water's edge of a very important shipping lane along the northern coast. A similar structure has stood here since the time of Swedish rule. A new slate lighthouse was ordered to be erected here by Peter I in 1724. Another, even bigger (48-foot) lighthouse replaced it in 1760 - possibly a reconstruction of the original. A new stone lighthouse was completed 80 metres from its predecessor in 1889. Due to natural collapse of the cliff face, the old structure had ended up too close to the edge and had to be demolished.
pho 55576087
e-mail andrus@paldiski360.ee
www http://www.pakrituletorn.ee
address Majaka tee, 45, Paldiski

Related objects

Suurupi upper lighthouse
People have been lighting bonfires on the highest limestone shore in Suurupi for centuries. In 1760, a massive limestone lighthouse was built here to warn captains about rocks in the water and direct the ships safely to the Reval harbours. At first, a live fire was made at the top of the lighthouse...
Keila waterfall
Keila waterfall is located on Keila River in Harju County, Keila rural municipality, Keila-Joa small town. A full 6 metres high, and tens of metres wide, Keila waterfall is the third largest waterfall in Estonia; after the Narva and Jägala waterfalls. There is a road from the park along the...
Keila-Joa Manor and Schloss Fall Museum
This manor complex was built in 1833 in neo-gothic style according to the designs of Hans von Stackenschneider, who would go on to become one of the key representatives of the historicist style in Russia. The manor has an amazing location – a rocky river with rapids runs through the valley, a 6 m...
Türisalu klint and platform
Türisalu klint is one of the most impressive nature object on the Northern Estonian limestone coast, towering up to 31 metres. Platform of the Türisalu klint with its romantic sea view and easy access is a popular destination among the citizens of Tallinn; the high vantage point affords a...
St Nicholas’ Lutheran Chapel in Saha
Saha Chapel used to be one of the oldest ecclesiastical centres built on the site of an ancient sacred place of Estonians. According to a folk story it is even 50 years older than the City of Tallinn and it was established by bishop Fulco. The exact time of establishment of the chapel is not known...
St. Michael’s (Miikaeli) Church in Keila
The construction of the biggest mediaeval country church in Harju County probably started immediately after Northern Estonia had been subjected to the king of Denmark. There is no data about the first years of the church, but in about 1280, a spacious quadrangular chapel that forms the choir room...
Rummu quarry
NB: this is an unofficial and unguarded swimming and diving spot. The quarry is closed to visitors and can only be explored with guides! Rummu quarry was used as a mining site for Vasalemma marble (a kind of limestone) for a very long time. Most of the workforce came from among the detainees of...
Padise Manor Hotel
In Harju County, just 50 km from Tallinn, is a beautiful spot snuggled between forests and fields - Padise. This naturally beautiful location with its ancient hill fortress and historical convent also boasts the now almost fully renovated Padise Manor. The manor has been renovated since the time of...
Jägala Waterfall
Jägala Waterfall is a waterfall in the lower course of the Jägala River, approximately 4 km before the river flows into the Gulf of Finland. The waterfall is approximately 8 metres high and more than 50 metres wide. It is the widest natural waterfall in Estonia. The waterfall is a peculiar sight...
River Jägala and suspension bridge
River Jägala begins in the village of Ahula that stands on the western edge Pandivere uplands; then, it runs through Northern Estonia and flows into Ihasalu Bay of the Gulf of Finland. The upper course of the 97-kilometre river flows through the bogs of Kõrvemaa. There is a suspension bridge with...
Church of Blessed Virgin Mary (Püha Neitsi Maarja) in Jõelähtme
Jõelähtme Church is one of the oldest churches in Estonia. The church was originally made of wood, and it was established during the period of the Danes’ conquest at the beginning of the 1220s. In written records, the Church of Blessed Virgin Mary in Jõelähtme is first mentioned in 1241, and...
Kau Manor
Kau manor was mentioned in the Danish evaluation book as early as in 1241. The manor remained empty for decades and its restoration was inspired by the fascinating history of the manor. Kau manor houses a boutique hotel that has 20 rooms in various styles, the awarded Restaurant Kaheksa Jalga (...
Anija Manor
Anija Manor was first mentioned in 1482, when it belonged to Hermann Zoege. The main building, which has been preserved until today, was built by Matthias Staël von Holstein at the beginning of the 19th century. Both the front façade and the middle part of the posterior side are decorated with...

visitharju.com

    Sirge 2 10618
    Tallinn

Kontakt


    info@visitharju.com

Jälgi meid

Partners